Odoo (OpenERP) version migration is the method of keeping your business with the latest upgraded Odoo version. Odoo continuously Improves itself now evident with the stable OpenSource ERP with v12. So Obviously, when we have to migrate the old OpenERP version to the latest Odoo 16, there are going to be a lot of challenges.
As being a leading Odoo Migration service provider and Odoo consulting company, we have to accept the challenge and migrate customers’ every single data with proper compatibility with Odoo v12 Community.
At Caret IT, we recently migrated one of our client’s OpenERP v7 to Odoo v12 Community Data migration and custom module migration successfully. During this migration process, we faced some challenges, and here is an overview of major changes and possible solutions for the scenario.
1. Latest Updates:
You can get more optimized and productive results with the latest version of Odoo. It makes the system more responsive.
2. Supplementary Speed:
You can always get a faster and simpler version of Odoo after updating. With such great speed, the productivity of your company will definitely reach its peak.
3. Better Features:
Odoo always comes up with new and better features with version updates. The accounting features are also getting better with each new version.
4. Improved UI:
The interface of Odoo gets better with every version. You can always get more features and functionalities that simplify your work.
5. Tailored CRM Modules:
The CRM modules also get improved and modified with the update of each version.
Major changes which must be taken into consideration while migrating data:
- Data migration is the process of moving data from one location to another, one format to another, or one application to another.
- Users Security Groups: Many Users Groups are changed from OpenERP v7 to Odoo v12 so need to proper map with v12. A user identified by login id and password and the groups gives the proper access rights to each user.
- Different Access Rights: These are the rules that define different access to users.
- Chart of Account Mapping: As from v7 to v12, Map Chart of accounts, and hierarchy of accounts as this concept of parent-child relationship in COA are changed.
- Payment Terms: In Latest Odoo v16 Community, the last line of payment term should be Balance type, while in the and version it’s not compulsory.
- Custom Modules: Migrate the custom modules and upgrade it along with Odoo base modules.
- Sequences and ordering: While Migrating Transactional Data, map and set sequences of orders.
- Traceability: OpenERP 7 has upstream and downstream for lot traceability while with v12 only has traceability button to see traceability. So Achieve this functionality as it is Same database table relationship created in Odoo 12.
- Python Version: Odoo v7 uses python 2 and Odoo v12 uses the python 3 version.
- Warehouse and Locations: Also challenges with Multi-warehouse creation and Location assignment. eg; in v12 while creation warehouse system auto creates input, output, stock location etc.
- Track of historical ID: Also, keep tracking of Old Id of records and store it in v12, because mapping record by record between two versions will really help.
- Procurement method: As Odoo v7 has procurement method on Products while in Odoo v12 have routes on products. So have to take care and map proper procurement methods with proper routes.
- Bill of Material (BoM): In OpenERP 7 technically BOM and its component shared the same database table. Bom and component managed by a parent-child relationship with the same database table. But in Odoo 12 it has a different database module. So instead of the parent-child relationship, here with v12, we have to migrate data in BoM and BoM Line object.
- After that do necessary changes in migration script and upgrade it with the latest database. Possible customization related changes are according to the old system. Here given points are for generic references.
Now, being a regular user of Odoo, you might know that you will need a dedicated Odoo developers team to migrate your current Odoo system to the latest upgraded version. We own a squad of talented and experienced Odoo developers who know every single detail about Odoo. They will modify the whole system to the newer version without any complications. You can hire our developers who will work dedicatedly for the migration or modification of your Odoo software.
Our goal is to help our clients by providing them with the best services.
With the migration to the new Odoo version, we assure our clients of better ways of managing the business and improving the productivity of the company. Hence, increasing the revenue generation of the company.